Adding roasted dhalia gives a very nice taste to the podalangai. I love to have this with curd rice also with sambhar rice.
1. Podalangai/ Snake gourd - 1 lb/ 1/2 kg finely chopped
2. Onion - 1 no chopped
3. Green chilly - 2 nos slit
4. Curry leaves - few
5. Pottu kadalai / Roasted dhalia - 1/4 cup coarsely powdered
6. Red chilly powder - 1/2 tsp
7. Coriander powder - 1 tsp
8. Salt - as needed
9. Oil - 2 tsp
10. Mustard seeds - 1/2 tsp
11. Cumin seeds - 1/2 tsp
12. Urad dhal - 1/2 tsp
13. Turmeric powder - a pinch
1. Heat oil in a vessel, fry the mustard seeds, cumin seeds, urad dhal. When it splutters add curry leaves, green chillies and onions.
2. Add pinch of salt and turmeric powder and saute till onions turn slight brown.
3. Add the chopped podalangai, mix well and cook for 3 mins. Add required salt, chilly and coriander powder and 1/2 cup water, close the lid and cook for 10 to 15 mins till it becomes soft and well cooked. Mix once every 5 mins.
4. After the vegetable is well cooked and there is no moisture left, add powdered dhalia (pottu kadalai) and mix well.
5. Cook without lid for 5 mins until the dhalia is roasted well and raw smell goes off.
6. Serve hot with rice as a side dish.